Thursday 22 February 2007

‘My Avatar Hell’ pt.3

After what can only be described as an uber-productive few days, last night I decided to sort this avatar issue out once and for all…

Went ‘in world’, teleported my Zebra-self off to somewhere quiet and removed the offending avatar. Well, I say offending, but if you read the previous posts you’ll realise that what was under the Zebra was far, far worse. Nightmarish, I’d say.

But then I realised that I still had a few emails to fire off before bed, so I moved over to Outlook and after about 15 minutes a familiar clickety-click typing sound came through the speakers. Please no, don’t let them be talking to me…

And she was. A very nice lady who said, ‘hello, can I help you?’ – I WAS IN HER HOUSE:

Lady: this is my house
PZ: oh no i'm so embarrassed!
Lady: no thats ok
PZ: i'm sorry i didn't realise...
Lady: where did you think you were?
PZ: i didn't have a clue. Basically, i messed up my avatar so wanted to go somewhere quiet to sort myself out!
Lady: I understand

Anyway, we had a great chat- in fact probably one of my favourite SL interactions yet because it was so utterly NORMAL. We chatted for an hour about our RL work, SL property, taxation and inflation in SL (she has made money), SL coverage in the media, she showed me around her place, complained about the neighbours (in SL... really!), we had a few drinks from her impressively stocked virtual bar…

... and then got back on to the topic of avatars:

PZ: did you not think 'who the hell is this freak' when i appeared?
Lady: it did take me back a little
PZ: yeah, really need to sort it out... i was trying on a triceratops avatar, but it was HUGE
PZ: so i became a zebra
PZ: also HUGE
Lady: heehee
PZ: but when i tried to detach the avatars - some sections remained...
Lady: I know that feeling

Lady: you do have a wierd body on
PZ: i know... i'm going to change back to normal now... can i do it here?
Lady: go right ahead
PZ: ok...
PZ: oh shit how the hell do i do this?
Lady: heehee
PZ: don't laugh! ;-)
Lady: do you have another shape in your inventory?

(PZ - i.e. me - tries new shape)

PZ: holy moly - that's not me
Lady: Ok thats scarey
PZ: right, ill try something else
Lady: I used to have that body when I first started
PZ: this is getting more humiliating by the minute...
Lady: thats ok I kind of enjoying this
PZ: hehehe
Lady: Yes, I would like to figure out how to take some of this make up off, but can't
Lady: I will some day
PZ: can't you do it from face properties?
PZ: you mean you don't take it off before SL bed?!!!
Lady: no my skin that I bought won't let me
PZ: typical.
PZ: being an avatar is not easy, is it?
Lady: No just as hard as RL

At this point I teleported my RL friend in and they chatted away while I tried to sort out my avatar. Gave up in the end, but have made a new SL friend who I like very much, and we’re all going to go for a ride in her friend’s spaceship in a few days and I’m going to take her to the fox club.

Or at least I will when I’ve had the chance to sort this bleeding avatar out…

No comments: