Sunday 11 February 2007

Clubbing on a Sunday morning

sundaymorningclubbing_003

Sunday morning, 9am. Alarm BLARES out some (rather good) music beside my sore head, fresh coffee lures my weary self towards the kitchen and I check my emails. And then before I know it I’ve clicked on the ‘magic hand’ and – woops – off we go – back into SL. I really don’t know how it happened; it was like some invisible force pulling me in which I was powerless to resist!

The next minute I’m teleporting myself to the FOX club (it sounded good in the search listing), where I’m greeted by pretty much everybody, grab myself a few dance moves and OFF WE GO…

The music was brilliant, really friendly crowd, ace lights, atmosphere… everything! Before I know it I’ve been granted VIP membership, given a magic bubble stick and made 6 new French friends – not bad going seeing as it was now only 10am.

But I thought I really should do something productive in RL, so began sorting laundry, hanging things up, cleaning… but all the time streaming the tunes from the FOX club through my speakers (and what a playlist!!) while periodically looking over at the screen to see how Second Self was doing. She (I?) was having a fine old time, and so was I (in RL). Weirdly, I’m finding it increasingly difficult to distinguish between my RL and SL selves; after the time, emotions (and money – ha!) invested in my virtual self, and the experiences we/she/I have had together, her joy is my joy; her pain is my pain; her dance moves are… well actually perhaps I need to challenge her (me?) to a dance off. I’m still a nifty mover.

Mind you, she’s got 60 different sets of wings… and can rollerblade up the sides of high buildings. She scaled Sony BMG headquarters yesterday – that’s my girl!

But yeah, to feel ‘excitement by proxy’ through ones avatar dancing in a virtual club – could get into this. Being able to feel (genuinely) glamorous, highly sociable and ecstatically happy while wearing pyjamas and doing household chores… now that’s what I call multitasking! Being able to exist on a recreational level and a practical level at the same time, this is what I’ve always dreamed of!

This third space is fascinating. After an entire w/e spent in SL, with both virtual and RL friends, the boundaries are becoming increasingly blurred. I actually turned round to MT last night (in RL) and called her by her avatar’s name... oh dear.


No comments: